SEPTEMBER FEATURE: The Founders



They say it starts with one great idea. 


For the two founders of MO-Town Style, Macao locals: Chezka Cenon and Carla Florendo, the great idea first came five years ago, back to a period in time when taking outfit pictures in public and maintaining a 'style blog' was barely a concept in Macau S.A.R.

"I've been into clothes since I was a little girl. My grandmother is a tailor and she taught me how to sew clothes at a young age. It came as quite a surprise to me later on that I didn't end up being a fashion designer, which is what I wanted initially. But, as I got older, the idea of combining clothes together to create different looks became more appealing to me than actually creating clothes, so that's how I ended have having a style blog" says Carla, who has been running her own personal style blog, Little Miss Violet, for five years. 

"As for me," Chezka, who has been running her own blog called StyleChe, adds, "I've always loved experimenting with personal style, seeing what fits and what didn't. I was a chubby girl with a lot of insecurities, so having a perfect outfit became a primary source of confidence for me. I started my blog without knowing anything about the industry at large. All I knew was that I was passionate about clothes, and I wanted to share style tips with others. No one understood why I did it, but I did it anyway. Now it's been five years".


Two very different origins with separate, individual blogs spanning half a decade, the words ‘Two Peas in a Pod’ may come to mind when defining the founders of MOTown Style; two twenty-something, Macau-born locals going against the grain of the gaming-based career path most youths take in the S.A.R–but that would only be half the story. They do share one irrefutable sentiment, though, and that is their love and passion for all things fashion.

"That's how we bond actually, I could name a brand, a piece of clothing, or a new trend, and we can stretch it out into a two-hour conversation" Chezka agrees. 

Now they have finally put together both their creative juices to start a new idea, MO-Town Style. Again, the reasons both girls present are almost on different sides of the spectrum, and yet the end goal is the same: a community of like-minded individuals with shared interests, extended outwards to anyone who may need help and acceptance. 


"MO-town style is, in a way, my idea of contributing to Macau's non-existent fashion scene. To be honest, there are plenty of fashionable and creative people here, but there almost aren't any platforms available for them to share ideas and experiences. So they either depart Macau and move on to other places, where they can hone their talent and reach their maximum potentials, or they stay in Macau and forever be a niche".

"I feel as if people in Macau want to know more about fashion but there just aren't that many sites tailor-made to suit local tastes. I've certainly had many girls and guys come up to me, asking for tips on what to wear, or even where to shop. This is why we decided to have MO-Town Style, to help girls and guys with fashion needs, simple as that".

Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram